Re: Help with sonames for Staden's io_lib package.

Le Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:23:12AM +0100, James Bonfield a écrit :

> Perhaps if I was more rigorous then only the major version number need
> be in the soname field, but I can't guarantee that would mean
> precisely the same API from 1.1 all the way to 1.11. Typically I add
> new functions and try not to change old ones.
>
> It's also worth noting that the major version number isn't likely to
> change soon (despite plans to do it for the last 10 years!) and so
> it's far more likely that a user would say "I need version 1.10 and
> above" than "I need version 1.x". I'm not fully up to speed on how
> versioning and soname should work though so how does soname cover
> "version x and above" requirements? Is it simply smarts in the linker
> that knows 1.12 should be 1.11 + more?

Dear James and Andreas,

I was still unsure on the versionning scheme, so I decided to upload a package
called libstaden-read0 because with the libtoolisation patch I applied, the
soname version is 0.0.0. This leaves room for uploading new packages with name
libstaden-read1 or libstaden-read-1.11, once I can figure out how to instruct
the build system to do the right thing. Can sonames have a decimal part, like
libstaden-read.so.1.11?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy