Can backports be built with backports ?

Hi Alexander, thank you for the fast answer!

Le Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:55:55AM +0100, Alexander Wirt a écrit :
> Charles Plessy schrieb am Monday, den 23. November 2009:
>
> > I have another question… The package I tried to upload is ‘bwa’, which has a
> > popcon score of less than ten, but of course a bright future :) It seems to
> > contradict directly your rule ‘Please only upload package with a noteable
> > userbase’. My purpose in this upload is to offer backports from a highly
> > trustable environment, in order to help the creation of ‘cloud’ images based
> > on Lenny but with the latest software in my speciality. Would such packages
> > be accepted ? (I am their maintainer in Debian).
> Even after reading the description I don't have a clue what to do with that
> application :). But go ahead.

I just uploaded bwa to bp.o's NEW queue. bwa is part of a bunch of packages
related to ‘next-generation sequencing’, that is about sequencing (our)
genomes.  Not to mention that it is useful for my work, I also hope that by
supporting free software in this area it will help to build a good world, in
opposition to a ‘Brave New World’ !

I would like to backport the bioperl package as well (a bigger beast), and it
needs ExtUtils::Manifest >= 1.52 to build (but not to run). However Lenny's
perl-modules package does not provide such a high version.

If I package ExtUtils::Manifest, let it go in testing, and if you then accept a
backport of it, will it be possible to build a bioperl backport using it? Said
differently, do the backports buildds use backports.org to satisfy dependancies
not in Lenny? (Sorry I did not manage to find the information).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,