Re: debian-watch-file-in-native-package

David,

On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 7:06 PM, David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> wrote:
> No need to CC me, thanks :)
> Even if I'm not (anymore) active in the team, I follow the mailinglist,
> hoping I can find something I would be useful to.
>
> Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 4:13 PM, David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I suggest you to correctly re-upload your package :)
>>
>> What is wrong with the following steps:
>>
>> tar -xzf *.orig.tar.gz
>> cd <source-directory>
>> cp -a <svn-pkg-dir>/trunk/debian .
>> rm -rf `find . -type d -name .svn`
>
> Almost wrong, I'd say. It should work, but it's not as foolproof as one
> would expect.
>
> Please, learn to use the SVN property "mergeWithUpstream". In short:
>
> cd trunk/
> svn propset mergeWithUpstream 1 debian
> svn ci -m "Merge the svn source with upstream"
>
> (I might have missed the correct order for "svn propset" -- I'm using git
> now for most of my things)
>
>> pdebuild --auto-debsign --debsign-k 0EA23F2B
>
> After you set mergeWithUpstream, you should do: $ svn-do
> This will export your svn debian/ and the original tarball (which usually is
> in ../tarballs/) into ../build-area/gdcm-somethingrandom/. There you can
> work, and do patches and whatever. As soon as you do "exit", any new/changed
> file in gdcm-random/debian/ would be copied over your SVN debian/. This is
> to work on the packaging.
>
> To just build for upload, svn-buildpackage is your friend (from the trunk/
> directory).
>
> I suggest you to have a look at our policy, in particular:
>  http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#id304574
>
> (At other people: since I've been using git for a while, I might have some
> tips to ease development with it. Please tell me if you're interested in a
> policy paragraph for it :))
>
>> dupload /var/cache/pbuilder/result/*gdcm*
>
> I'd suggest you to only upload *.changes files. *gdcm*ch* could be ok :)

1. I do not see why using pdebuild vs svn-buildpackage would be a problem
2. I just do not understand how one could use safely svn-buildpackage.
2.a It uses *my* packages instead of whatever buildd machine will be
using to build the package for other platforms.
2.b svn-buildpackage cannot be used, since you'll easily miss
Build-Depends (can only detect using pdebuild)

Ideally I do not even understand why people are doing binary upload
instead of source upload...

Thanks anyway
--
Mathieu