Re: License/Copyright issues (was Re: dicomscope ready for upload)

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
> Le Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:38:30PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :
>> Charles,
>>
>>   Do you consider this is ok then ? Looking at the C++ code however,
>> this is not clear that DCMTK copyright applies:
>
>>   I can change the debian/copyright, but the ftp-master will be a bit
>> surprise that the debian/copyright does not reflect what upstream is
>> saying. With those machine readable format it is uneasy to specify
>> that...
>
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> I have answered to the OFFIS people in the original thread. Since they point at
> a copyright statement that is not in the dicomscope source, but in dcmtk, the
> simplest is to quote their statement and to include the copyright notice of
> dcmtk in dicomscope. If you would like to do this in a machine-readable manner,
> you can for instance add a ‘Comment:’ field in the paragraph for the files that
> are distributed under these terms.

Excellent thanks for your help ! Will do it ASAP.

I now understand what is going on. dicomscope on its own does not have
build system. According to the build instruction in the PDF, it would
require to copy a subset of file into DCMTK itself, patch the DCMTK
Makefile system to add dicomscope own files and then build that new
plugin as part of DCMTK.
I guess that implied -for them- that dicomscope C++ files had the same
copyright as DCMTK itself (since build within a subdir of DCMTK
itself).

--
Mathieu