Re: Please review the copyright file of bwa.

Le Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 07:32:47AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 02:02:43PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > While working on the machine-readable format for Debian copyright files, I
> > realised that there are several good reasons to not use the same format as for
> > Debian control files (which actually does not comply with RFC822).
>
> What exactly are the reasons that it is not RFC822 compliant?  I did not
> dived into this into very detail, but I'm curious because we are using
> this format in the tasks files and I'm using a Python RFC822 library to
> parse them.

RFC822 specifies newlines as CR/LF, while in Debian control files we use only
LF. Also, in RFC822 all fields are foldable, while in Debian control files they
are not unless specified otherwise. Lastly, not all features of RFC822 are
accepted in Debian control files, and some conventions of Debian control files
are absent of RFC822, like the preeminence of the first line in some field
bodies, the concept of stanza and the special role for the first of them, and
the use of lines containing only spaces to end the machine-readable section.
All in all, I think that alhtough many RFC822 parsers work, we can not explain
to a newcommer what Debian control files are by just pointing them at the
RFC822.

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy