Re: Attempt to remove treetool

Le Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 09:50:16AM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> after having updated several of our packages I try to target at removal
> candidates.  When trying to take a screeshot - hey, anybody elso who
> wants to support Debian Med by doing screenshots??? - from treetool I
> realised that any action freezes my X server.  I had to switch to
> console and kill the treetool process.  I do not think that we need to
> care about bugs of packages that were orphaned upstream for 15 years and
> has very low popcon (6 user, 0 updated).
>
> Any active treetool user should please speek up now, prove the need for
> treetool inside Debian by providing a screenshot and thus give some
> motivation for us to keep this inside Debian.  If this not happens I'll
> ask ftpmaster for removal.

Hi Andreas,

you scared me with your freeze story, so I have not tried to reproduce it ;)
But I am all for removing treetool.

With NJplot being a bit superseded by the lastest SeaView, that unfortunately
non-free now, and TreeView X being in difficulty because it does not compile
with latest wxwidgets, we may fall short of tree viewers.

I found a possible emergency plan B: jstreeview.
http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/lh3/treeview.shtml

It is a javascript program, but we can simply use it as a local web page and
write a desktop entry that starts a browser on it.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,