Re: Status of PDF / PS file in src

Le Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 02:13:19PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :

>   I had to recently reupload pvrg-jpeg since the src code ships with a
> .ps file. According to ftp team one cannot do that since no source
> file are there to regenerate this binary file.

Hi Mathieu,

our archive administrators and other Debian developers have a strong
interpretation of our free software guidelines, that everything we ship has to
be provided with its preffered form for modification. For PS and PDF files, it
means that you need to ask Upstream the LaTeX, MS-word, OpenOffice, DocBook, or
whatever other source from which they were produced. Alternatively, you can
delete them from the original tarball, but then you have to document it in
README.source and provide a get-orig-source target in debian/rules.

For other files, for instance BLOSUM matrices or DNA sequences, well, let's
keep the secret that we do not provide their sources untill we really want to
have a strong discussion on the matter ;)

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,