Re: Help with sonames for Staden's io_lib package.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 12:23:11PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 09:40:48AM +0100, James Bonfield wrote:
> > I'm unsure if sonames can have decimal points, but I think it would be
> > confusing to have an soname of libstaden-read.so.0 when the library
> > version is clearly 1.x.
>
> If there was no dynamic library before, the (dynamic) library version
> (i.e., the digits after .so) should be 0.0.0.

There has been a dynamic version before, for maybe 10 years infact,
but not as a standalone package. The main staden package build also
includes (or included I should say) a copy of staden-io_lib, but built
outside of autoconf and producing a dynamic library. This is where the
io_lib library originated and also why it had such a rubbish name - it
was originally intended as local part of a much larger system. We
started to bundle it up as a separate component because some users
wanted just that bit.

The standalone staden-io_lib relase also briefly used dynamic
libraries, but it caused more problems than it was worth and
ironically using libtool limited portability. That coupled with a deep
loathing of libtool (it tortured me, what can I say?) meant that most
of the standalone releases were statically built.

I'm not particularly fussed in the actual file name suffix provide it
works and the soname matches the major part of the release
version. However should the portion after the .so be matching the
soname version or can it have a completely distinct version space?

James

--
James Bonfield (jkb@sanger.ac.uk) | Hora aderat briligi. Nunc et Slythia Tova
                                  | Plurima gyrabant gymbolitare vabo;
  A Staden Package developer:     | Et Borogovorum mimzebant undique formae,
https://sf.net/projects/staden/   | Momiferique omnes exgrabure Rathi.