Re: dh_installman / *.manpages

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 08:37:23PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> dh_installmenu
> dh_install --sourcedir=/home/mathieu/Projects/debian-med/trunk/packages/gdcm/build-area/gdcm-2.0.12/debian/tmp
> --fail-missing

Hmmm, I made not the best experience with --fail-missing.  I also never have
seen any need for a --sourcedir option.  I always use dh_install in connection
with files named debian/package.install.  Just omit the *.1 files there!

> dh_install: missing files, aborting

That's because of the --fail-missing option.  You might like to have a look
into other dh_install files in our SVN.  Just try

   find <svndir>/trunk/packages -name "*install" -exec cat \{\} \;

The content of a debian/package.install file works like

  cp -a `pwd`/<first_column_entry> `pwd`/debian/<package>/<second_column_entry>

hope this clarifies issues with dh_install.

> $ cat debian/libgdcm-tools.manpages
> usr/share/man/man1/gdcmanon.1
> usr/share/man/man1/gdcmconv.1

That's just a misunderstanding how dh_installman works.  You need to
specify the location in your *SOURCE* tree and dh_installman will
move the file right into place.  so you should rather specify

  docs/manpages/*.1

if you assume that your man pages are in directory docs/manpages relative
to your package building directory.  If you provide own manpages in the
debian directory it would be something like

  debian/debian_maintainer_provided_man_page.1

Hope this helps