Re: /usr/lib/ns/med/bin ?

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 02:11:10PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:

In any case if Debian came up with a real-world usable
solution to this it'd once again prove itself ahead of the
curve.

> There may be better paths than /usr/lib/ns/med/bin. What is the feeling on the list about
> such a solution?

Having certain paths only available upon execution of some
environment changing script much reminds me of chroot, jails
etc (though they usually relate to security).

One problem though: what if I actually need *both*, say,
plink's at once, say, because a higher-level application
uses both as lower level components ?

How do I pipe from plink(1) to plink(2) ? Having to specify
the full path is possible but cumbersome.

A "namespace prefix" would work but will likely be
considered verging on the disruptive (med.plink vs.
other.plink) - also it can already be achieved by using
symlinks or shell aliases and putting the plink's into
different directories. The only novelty would be to
associate prefixes with paths.

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346