Re: VCS information in task files

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Michael Hanke wrote:

Andreas just pointed me to the unfortunate situation that my packages do
not show up in the 'has VCS stuff' sections on the task pages --
although they all have public VCS on Alioth.

Well, that's a missunderstanding, thought.  I was talking about the fact
that you told me you are *working* on *not yet officially available*
packages in some other Vcs than the Debian Med SVN.

 http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging.html

And see e.g. here:

 http://packages.qa.debian.org/d/dicomnifti.html
 http://packages.qa.debian.org/f/fslview.html
 http://packages.qa.debian.org/n/nifticlib.html
 http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pymvpa.html
 http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/pynifti.html

I understand that VCS links have to be manually added to the task files,
right?

Under

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/imaging.html#unofficial-debs

you are listed as responsible for several packages as maintainer of an
unofficial deb.  If you would provide the Vcs location of these these
entries would become more valuable for potential packagers.

 http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/blends/projects/med/trunk/debian-med/tasks/imaging?op=file&rev=0&sc=0

The question to me is why can this information not be extracted from the
official packages in the archive (or the PTS) -- as it is done for
maintainers and upstream URLs for example?

You want to patch http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/blends/blends/trunk/webtools/?rev=0&sc=0 ? ;-)
Well, no you actually don't.  You are right the information can be obtained
and may be I will because it becomes really cheap when I will switch to use
UDD to render these pages.  But this is not what I asked you to do.  A user
can very easily obtain Vcs information about *existing* packages but it is
hard to find up to date information about packaging stuff which is not yet
turned into an official package.

IMHO it would be good to prevent having potentially outdated duplicates
of information that is available from canonical locations.

Sure.

Am I on the wrong track?

Err, more or less yes.  I would like to use the Vcs information to read
a control / copyright / changelog file to obtain all the other information
from there which is rendered at the page with the "yellow" sections to
actually *have* up to date information and no outdated duplicates.

This is not yet implemented but the implementation makes more sense if
people will follow the rule to uncover the location of their Vcs ...