Re: Google Summer of Code 2009.

Charles Plessy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to start a discussion about the possiblity to propose project(s)
> for the Google Summer of Code 2009. Last year the project I proposed, about
> data management, was accepted but canceled last minute because the student got
> accepted somewhere else.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2008/biodata
>
> My short experience of the summer of code is the following: when a project is
> proposed with a precise draft, it will attract many candidatures, most of them
> of poor quality, where students paraphrase and obviously did not really
> understand. On the other hand, some candidates are good and the fact that the
> project attracted many candidatures is somehow positive for securing the
> funding by Google.
>
> On the other hand, if we just state our main interests, students can be
> creative and propose things we did not think about. Also, there are less
> candidatures, with a higher level, which makes the think more intellectually
> stimulating.
>
> I volunteer for mentoring a project this year provided of course that Debian
> will be accepted, that we get enough projects funded by Google, and that one
> related to our activities is accepted. For the moment, I hesitate between the
> top-down and the bottom-up approach for the defintion of the project. Any idea ?

I have my own code at work for this, speaking from that experience.

bottom-up is the only possible way really because all bioinformatics
tools suck. the user need to know exactly which files are what and where
they are located to be able to work with them. unfortunately a project
like this, beyond a few download scripts, might be a bit premature. what
we need is better tools.

I have regged as a mentor (through haskell.org) before but never got a
stipend for my student. I could co-supervise one if need arises.

/Johan
> Of course, if you have a strong interst in the Summer of Code, do not hesitate
> to candidate as a mentor as well.
>
> Have a nice day,

Johan Henriksson
MSc Engineering