Re: The mistery around libsbml

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, David Paleino wrote:

I went back to our SVN and yes, libsbml is there. There is a
debian/changelog full of entries, even some contributions by me (!), but it
appears it's not in Debian (even though the plethora of changelog entries --
moral: "always use UNRELEASED", read further to understand why this statement).

Yes - using UNRELEASED for unreleased packages is really important.

$ head debian/control
Source: libsbml
Maintainer: [..]
Build-Depends: [..]
Standards-Version: 3.8.0
Section: science
$

and:

$ head debian/changelog
libsbml (3.2.0-1) unstable; urgency=low

 * Upstream update.

-- Moriyoshi Koizumi <mozo@sfc.keio.ac.jp>  Sun, 24 Aug 2008 19:27:26 +0900
[..]
$

Strange enough. Well, let's try the web interfaces:

Well, it is not that strange if you keep the fact in mind that not everybody
follows the use UNRELEASED rule - I admit I was sloppy myself in the days when
the first changelog entries of this package were done.  I hope that I'm more
strict now in this regard.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sbml ("Your search gave no results")
http://packages.qa.debian.org/l/libsbml.html (404 Not Found)
http://bugs.debian.org/src:libsbml ("There is no maintainer for libsbml [..]")

Well, it could've been removed since August, let's check:

$ wget http://ftp-master.debian.org/removals-full.txt
[..]
$ grep -i sbml removals-full.txt

No - it was never uploaded.  It is listed on our tasks files

   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio-dev.html#libsbml1

as inoffical package - I just added the Vcs-Svn field which was missing.

$ grep "Initial release" debian/changelog
 * Initial release (Closes: #241111)
$

But that bug has been closed for inactivity, not by an upload!!!

Unfortunately this happens (to frequently :-().

So, question: where *is* libsbml?!

If the first upload must be done yet, I would like to be added to Uploaders,
DMUA to be set, and we should shrink debian/changelog to just "Initial
release", reopening the bug and closing it with the upload. Also, there's a
3.3.1 available.

I guess the best idea would be to verify the inoffical package at

   http://www.e-cell.org/ecell/software/downloads

check the packaging stuff in our SVN and try to *really* get a libsbml
package out in our repository.

(and please don't upload, the C# bindings need some special care taken for the
Mono 2.0 transition ongoing in experimental -- I will do that myself once this
"issue" is solved)

Thanks for your investigation on this