Re: [Ann] Sponsored root server for Debian Med (Was: New maintainer for biopython and wise)

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:

> I'd recommend reading
>
>      http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html

Thanks for that link.

>> IRC.debian.org to #debian-med but the channel was empty
>
> Well, the #debian-med channel exists - but I do not know whether
[snip]
> Another reason is that I'm technically blockes from IRC in my working
> hours.  But if you want to meet me in IRC it is fine to agree
> upon a meeting time.

Ack, on the time aspect. btw, #debian-med  was not empty, there was a
bot "CIA-number" :)
I was told IRC is the place to ask questions and interact but
apparently different projects within Debian function differently.  So
Debian-med usually interacts via m.lists only? or is there an irc
channel one can ask packaging questions too?

> I have no idea what you mean with "unlogged" channel - I'm rathe
> an IRC newbee.

well, #debian-women does not allow bots or public logging of chat
sessions but I noticed #debian-mentors has a bot (Mentor-Seekers) to
announce sponsor requests. I am rather new too.

> Well, it's a shame that the links do not work.  The problem is that
> these pages were not very good maintained and in the last time this
> became even worse since I went over to the tasks pages system:
>
>   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/
>
> which automatically gernerates what we have.  The fact that we currently
> do not have any packages listed in drugdb and pharma is basically the
> reason why we do not yet have such autogenerated pages:  For the moment
> for technical reasons we need at least one existing package per
> category is needed.  I'm working on this - but I can do this only in my
> spare time.

Ah, I was looking at the wrong pages ... that clarifies, thanks.

> On the other hand if you look at the tasks pages it is perfectly intended
> to also list projects which are not yet available as package in Debian.
> The rationale is that you can use this as todo list - so just pick your
> favourite project and try to start training your packaging skills with it.
>  ;-)

yes, i am going through them.

> I think so:
>
> $ apt-cache search gnumed
> gnumed-client - medical practice management - Client
> gnumed-client-de - medical practice management - Client for German users
> gnumed-common - medical practice management - common files
> gnumed-doc - medical practice management - Documentation
> gnumed-server - medical practice management - server
>
> and I'm currently working on the code to make sure that
> gnumed-server is displayed correctly as package in experimental at
>
>   http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/practice.html
>
> which does not work right now but it is my plan to implement this
> in the next couple of days because the "yellow" section caused the
> most confusion in the last couple of weeks.

Yes, it was confusing. I shall use debian-med.alioth.debian.org
henceforth but I am curious about the links leading to external
websites which  didnt have much information on the interaction with
Debian. For example : Some projects host their code and are listed in
SF, but how does debian obtain software from say, drugref.org or other
companies listed on the debian page?

> Questions are always fine and I decided to answer tham publicly to
> enable other newcomers reading the answers as well.  We also have
> one place were the helpo you might like to provide is listed:
>
>    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedTodo
>
> It seems that our documentation for newcomers also needs help.. :-(
> Perhaps you also might like to work on this because you obviosely
> had to suffer from this fact.

Sure, I can help but I dont have access to make changes here :
http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/

I have a wiki account and can help (will do it slowly so that I dont
make too many changes which may upset others).

Thankyou.

Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||
|| You are what your deepest desire is ; As you desire, so is your
intention ; As your intention, so is your will ; As is your will, so
is your deed ; As is your deed, so is your destiny | ~Upanishads ||