How to debug problems in postinst using debconf / dbconfig common

Hi,

I try to build a package from mlstdbnet for Debian Med. The
packaging stuff is available here:

  Vcs-Browser: http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/mlstdbnet/trunk/?rev=0&sc=0
  Vcs-Svn: svn://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-med/trunk/packages/mlstdbnet/trunk/

and you can obtain the orig.tar.gz via

  make -f debian/rules get-orig-source

If I build the package I get an error message but failed
to track down the problem:

~> sudo dpkg -i mlstdbnet_2.0.0-1_all.deb
(Reading database ... 341999 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace mlstdbnet 2.0.0-1 (using mlstdbnet_2.0.0-1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement mlstdbnet ...
Setting up mlstdbnet (2.0.0-1) ...
dpkg: error processing mlstdbnet (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 128
 mlstdbnet

You get the preconfiguration I used on the machine in question if
you copy debian/more_examples/cdif.xml to

    /etc/mlstdbnet

I'm probably blind for the problem but this exit status 128 without
any debug information is quite less.  What are the best strategies
to track down the problematic line of code which causes the problem.

Kind regards and thanks for any help

    Andreas.

PS: I'm not subscribed to debian-mentors so a CC would be nice but
    I might read the archive.