Re: dicomscope 3.6.0 / debian package

Mathieu,

> This is 3.6.0. But I fear that claiming that at debian level (in
> debian/changelog) would lead to an infinite number of -uninteresting-
> email exchange to get things working (uwatch...). So until the OFFIS team
> actually provide the zip file on *their* ftp, I'll stick to pretending
> this is a 3.5.1 release. Most of the docs (eg. pdf still claims this is
> 3.5.1), so ...

seems to be much easier if we would provide the (still unofficial) Java
source code of DICOMscope 3.6.0 on our public ftp server :-)  Here it is:
ftp://dicom.offis.de/pub/dicom/offis/software/dscope/dscope360/dsgui360.zip

> dsum351.pdf is user oriented. dscs35.pdf is what make the whole value of
> dicomscope and only required for advanced user (hum... dicomscope user
> are advanced user anyway...)

I would propose that you also use the 3.6.0 version of the PDF documents:
ftp://dicom.offis.de/pub/dicom/offis/software/dscope/dscope360/docs/

> dicomscope is the only viewer that actually implements the DICOM standard
> (esp. Presentation State).

In fact, DICOMscope started as a reference implementation commissioned by
the "NEMA Committee for the Advancement of DICOM". See our web site for
details: http://dicom.offis.de/dscope

Btw, as you can read in the user manual (version 3.6.0) we originally
planned to release the Java source code years ago:

=== CUT ===

Note: The source code of the current version is not yet available. As soon
as dcmtk 3.5.3 is released a new version of DICOMscope will be published,
too. The following compilation description is already prepared for this
version change and, therefore, refers to packages (e. g. dcmtk353 and
dsgui361) which are currently not yet available for download.

However, a major problem for the further development was and still is that
the original Java developers (from the Institute for Microtherapy, Bochum)
are no longer working on DICOMscope - in contrast to the underlying DICOM
toolkit DCMTK which is, of course, still maintained :-)

Best regards,
Jörg Riesmeier
--
OFFIS DICOM Team, Escherweg 2, 26121 Oldenburg, Germany
E-Mail: dicom@offis.de, URL: http://dicom.offis.de