Re: minc REMOVED from testing (fwd)

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 07:29:15PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I guess this is because of bug #475808 but the latest changelog in SVN
> does not show a sign that somebody is working on this problem?  Anybody
> wants to give a short status of how to proceed with minc?

In my view, several of the test programs in MINC are irredemably buggy.
These should be fixed, upstream; in the short term, the best course for
debian may be to simply disable such buggy tests.

For example, libsrc2/test/create-test-images.c and create-test-images-2.c
declare int-returning functions that do not actually have a return
statement, and then attempt to use the return value:

	int create_real_as_int_image(void)
	{
	    int r;
	    [...]
	    r = miclose_volume(hvol);
	}

	[...]

	int main(int argc, char **argv)
	{
	    int r = 0;
	    r +=create_real_as_int_image();
	    [...]

There's no possible way this could work, except by accident.
IMHO, the test has no value and should not be used until fixed.

For my part, I was working on the code in January prior to the 2.0.15
release (I'm part of the upstream development team).  We obviously
didn't finish and I haven't touched it since.

I'm not in a hurry to get back into the code, so I'd be very pleased
to have more sets of eyes look at this and triage the buggy tests.
The easy version of this is to patch the makefile to remove
obviously-buggy tests.  Of course, a patch that *fixes* the test would
be highly appreciated :-)

Thanks,
-Steve