Re: Treeplot source vanished / broken links

Andreas Tille a écrit :
> [Oliver, I think there is nothing private in this mail, so I decided
> to CC the Debian-Med mailing list]

Then, hi everybody,

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Olivier Langella wrote:
>
>> indeed, http://www.pge.cnrs-gif.fr/bioinfo/treeplot/ is not responding.
>> It's an old web site of my previous laboratory.
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
>
>> "treeplot" is old now, I didn't knew that some people would like to use
>> it... I was considering to abandon it because I had problems to compile
>> it with newer gcc and I thought it was a waste of time to fix it.
>
> Well, it might be helpful to hear the opinion from you as the author
> whether you think it is outdated and should not be used any more.  I was
> just checking te list of our prospective packages and found that the
> link under
>
>    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio.php#treeplot
>
> was broken.

I think that "treeplot" is outdated. "Treeviewx" is an equivalent that
works great and it is already packaged.

>> There is no web page featuring the "treeplot" code anymore, but I am
>> glad to see that it's interesting for you and others like Vincent
>> Danjean. So, I would like to set up a new page, but I don't know when
>> and where for the moment and I have to fix compilation problems first.
>
> Well, I have not verified the stuff but in the Debian-Med SVN there
> seem to be some patches:
>

> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/treeplot/trunk/treeplot/?rev=0&sc=0
>

> Just check it out whether they solve the compile problem (in most cases
> such patches are intended to enable compilation with gcc 4.2 or 4.3).

Thank you for the link, if anyone still need "treeplot", I will test
those patches.

>> I know on the contrary that "populations"
>> (http://bioinformatics.org/~tryphon/populations/) is a very popular
>> software (50 citations in 2005). It's active, I am maintaining the code,
>> there is a web page... but no debian package. I can try to make it if
>> you want.
>
> If you would prepare Debian packages or at least support the preparation
> we would be very happy.  While we have a lot of biological software
> packaged in Debian we might need all possible suport and especially
> from upstream developers.  If you would like to have access to our
> packaging SVN just ask.
>
> BTW, we are listing populations in our list of prospective packages at
>
>    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/tasks/bio.php#populations
>
> Would you regard this as a 1:1 replacement of treeplot?

Yes you can replace "treeplot" with "populations". I would be pleased if
"populations" became a Debian package.
I can support the preparation of a package, no problem, and if I have
enough time to get a better skill in the art of packaging softwares for
debian, I will try to make it (it might be long ;-)).

>> Thank you for your interest in "treeplot" and for your great job in the
>> Debian project.
>
> Thanks :)

and thanks every one working on Debian Med ;-)

Olivier