Association between files and applications.

Dear all,

I have investigated a bit about how to associate a file type, for
instance a multiple alignment in Clustal W format, and an application,
for instance SeaView.

After discussions on -mentor and -devel, I wrote a small summary on the
Debian wiki:

http://wiki.debian.org/MimeTypesSupport

Based on this, I commited a serie of patches for TreeView X, NJplot,
SeaView and Perlprimer, in order to associate them to files they can
open. This is not exhaustive, and I intend to keep a track of what is
done on the following page:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianMedMIME

Here are the relevant commits:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-commit/2008-January/001121.html (SeaView)
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-commit/2008-January/001115.html (NJplot)
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-commit/2008-January/001112.html (Perlprimer)
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-commit/2007-December/000988.html (TreeView X)

The effect of the changes is that one should be able to double-click, or
at least to select the correct program by right-clicking on a tree,
aligment or perlprimer file in desktop managers complying with the
FreeDesktop standards.

I would appreciate feedback on this work. After concertation with
upstream authors, if we have positive comments I can try to submit
these associations to more central ressources, so that we do not have to
micro-manage them and other distros can benefit this work.

All the packages I modified have in also a multitude of small changes,
and I checked today that they are ready for upload. Can somebody sponsor
them? For NJplot it is also a new upstream release, and for TreeView X
it would close a bug.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy