Re: mummer.desktop

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, Charles Plessy wrote:

Well, the "proper location" is still a matter of debate, as for the
moment we have no other choice than "Education". For the packages I
created, I chose "Categories=Biology;Science;Education;" to give a
chance to the desktop manager to override the default. In the latest
version of GNOME "Education" is enforced, but in Etch's Xfce it allows
to put the programs in "Science".

While I would regard "Science" as a very reasonable category it
is just not listed on

    http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

(it would if I would have a vote about this list ...)
But you are right, if you use Science as Additional Category the
main category is listed as "Education" (my simple thought that
scientists often sit in an office was wrong ;-)).

This said, I would recommend to suppress mummer.desktop, because mummer
is not a graphical program. I think that users do not expect this from
the FreeDesktop menu, and if a mummer.menu file were provided, an entry
could be found through the Debian menu. But this would be useful for an
interactive program, and I did not find such a mode in mummer.

Agreed.

Thanks for the hint