Re: Git submodules

Am Donnerstag, den 18.12.2008, 06:45 +0100 schrieb Michael Hanke:
> I just want to drag your attention to a Git feature that might be
> interesting in the context of the debian-med SVN and the potential move
> to a DVCS: 'submodules', ie. more or less a collection of Git
> repositories:
>
>   http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSubmoduleTutorial
>
> It is not excatly a partial checkout, but maybe a useful one.
>
> Disclaimer: I haven't played with it yet -- I just stumbled upon it.

At the time I played with it, I did not find it very useful. The things
under "Gotchas" force a certain workflow which one might easily forget.
That lead (in my case) to commits I was not able to publish and in one
case a broken repo. It also seemed to do some weird detaching from HEAD
that I did not really understand. Since then, I did not have a further
look at it. I'm very interested in your feedback, though!

If it is just for the "I want to clone all repositories" use-case, mr is
the better tool. I'm currently playing around with that for Debian
Science.

Best regards
Manuel