Re: [med-svn] r2775 - trunk/packages/velvet/trunk/debian

Le Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 10:54:02AM -0600, Steve M. Robbins a écrit :

> OK.  But if upstream believes a default build should use -O3, why is
> Debian overriding it to -O2?

Hi Steve,

I will consult Upstream. Nevertheless, each time I have benchmarked -O3 against
-O2 in the scientific packages I have packaged, I have never found a
significative speed difference. I should probably do such a benchmark before
contacting Upstream…

-O2 is the default in Debian (Policy 10.1) and is enforced twice by our build
tools. For most of our packages defining the optimisation level through CFLAGS,
Upstreams choice is overriden anyway unless we took care of checking his
makefile and eventually re-setting -O3.

Have a nice weekend,

--
Charles Plessy