Re: [med-svn] r2574 - trunk/packages/biococoa/trunk/debian

Hello Charles,

On Oct 15, 2008, at 5:04 PM, Charles Plessy wrote:

nice work ! Now we have working BioCocoa and SequenceConverter packages :)
Would you like to add your name in the 'Uploaders:' field of
debian/control and become maintainer of them?

Ok, sure.

I have two other unrelated questions. I saw that you updated the
BioCocoa manpage. How about adopting it upstream? We are always happy
when our contributions get a broader audience, and it helps use to make
our packages slimmer and therefore easier to maintain.

I can do that. I'm not sure how GNUstep handles man pages, but I will look into it.

Some headers for BioCocoa are in /usr/lib/GNUstep. Are they
architecture specific? If not, would it be easy to transfer them in
/usr/share?

Well BioCocoa is using gnustep-make, which internally hides all the details about where files get installed, so BioCocoa doesn't have any control over that. It essentially just says, here is a header file, please install it for me. Any problems with the filesystem layout would need to be fixed by gnustep-make. I guess maybe this is because BioCocoa is a framework, which is wrapper for libraries containing everything together much like a GNUstep application, so there might be a bug with gnustep-make in that the frameworks are put under /usr/lib instead of /usr/share like other libraries.

cheers
Scott