Re: Giving away CTN

Hi,

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 09:09:23AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Hi Thijs,
>
> Le Tue, May 20, 2008 at 07:00:03PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst a écrit :
> > I suggest any of the following paths:
> >
> > 1) The Debian-Med team takes over CTN maintenance and does something to
> > resolve it's bitrot, e.g. replacing it with MESA.
> > 2) I ask for ctn to be removed. This of course doesn't preclude the first
> > option to be carried out on a later moment.
>
> I think it makes sense: I did a few web searches and there does not seem
> to be activity from the CTN developpers or users in the past few years.
> What we can do is to properly document that it has been removed, in the
> "What's new in Debian-Med for Lenny" news that we will publish at the
> end of the year, and offer unofficial packages and/or backports if
> requested by users. By the way, I see that even the Etch pacakge depends
> on libmysqlclient15off  (>= 5). Does it mean that it does not work at
> all ?
A side-effect would be that dicomnifti has to be removed as well, as it
build-depends on ctn-dev. It only uses pieces of CTN and no MySQL
functionality -- so it is not negatively affected by this situation. I
will talk to upstream about his plans for the future, but significant
changes are unlikely to happen before the release of lenny. So if
Debian-Med does not want to maintain it, I have to.

I haven't looked at the package yet, but maybe it would make sense for
me to strip it down to the actually useful parts. If the overall popcon
count is low, it might really be just a dev lib.

So, please do not remove it!

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke