Re: Patch format

On Sun, 18 May 2008 19:40:34 +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:

> Le Sun, May 18, 2008 at 12:27:10PM +0200, David Paleino a écrit :
> >
> > Can we standardize the patch header? Be it quilt, dpatch, $foo, the header
> > might be something like:

> > Forwarded:
> >
> > I'm currently starting to use this format:
> >
> > Author: Foo Bar <foo@bar.com>
> > Forwarded: no | http://$url_of_upstream_BTS_with_patch
> > Reason: foo
> >  another line
> >  .
> >  Another paragraph
>
> Hi David,
>
> I think that the Reason: field is not necessary, as one could use:
> Forwarded: no, because blablablah…

Sorry if that was not clear. "Reason" might be "Description": why is the patch
needed :) (not reason of rejection/not forwarding ;)

> I just read one of the messages of Pierre Habouzit, in which he says
> that for the glibc packages the forward status is also encoded in the
> patch name. It can be a good idea as well, although it would generate
> bigger diffs on our commit list.

Yes, I've read that too.

> I also like the idea that a bug is fixed by a patch, but would be closed
> only by a new upstream release that makes the patch unnecessary. In our
> case, we could for instance retitle the bug and downgrade its severity
> to wishlist when we apply a patch. But I wonder if it would blur the
> information in the changelog.

I meant upstream's BTS.
Please take a look at:

http://code.google.com/p/galaxium/issues/list?q=reporter%3Ad.paleino&can=2

It's a package I'm preparing -- I report issues, attach a patch, and use:

Forwarded: http://code.google.com/.../?id=xxx

:)

(this is IMHO much clearer than using our BTS and forcing upstream follow us...)

> Let's experiment with real work and turn it into a Debian-Med policy
> before discussing it on -devel.

Yes.
I'm sorry I'm not very active in Debian-Med at the moment, but I'm concentrating
on creating a Dentist Management software :) -- besides University studies.

> We are not far from the freeze (do not forget that 9 days before the freeze
> it will be already too late for urgency=low tasks!), and we have many uploads
> to do; each of them is a good opportunity to build a Policy by practice.

I see this as a long-term goal, surely not-for-lenny.

> Ah, I just realised that I forgot to answer to your question.
> Standardising the fields and their order is definitely a good idea :)

Great :)

David

--
 . ''`.  Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino