Re: How to handle Debian patches

Le Fri, May 16, 2008 at 05:54:32PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog a écrit :

> each patch should have some standardized header on top
> stating:
> - a description of the patch and its purpose
> - the associated bug number
> - who wrote the patch
> - where it has been forwarded upstream
> - sign-off by reviewers maybe

Hi all,

since it makes complete sense I propose the followign addition to our
policy:

+    <sect2>
+      <para>
+        Differences between the upstream sources and the sources used when the package is built must be easy to analyse for external persons. This is usually achieved by grouping them in fuctional units as patches stored under <filename cl ass="directory">debian/patches</filename>. Please forward them upstream when the y are potentially of general interest, and of course discuss them if you have do ubts.
+      </para>
+      <para>
+        Patches should contain a header describing the following:
+        <itemizedlist>
+          <listitem>
+            <para>A description of the patch and its purpose;</para>
+          </listitem>
+          <listitem>
+            <para>the associated bug number in the tracking system of Debian, o ne of its derivative, and/or upstream;</para>
+          </listitem>
+          <listitem>
+            <para>the author of the patch;</para>
+          </listitem>
+          <listitem>
+            <para>where it has been forwarded upstream and if not, why;</para>
+          </listitem>
+          <listitem>
+            <para>endorsment by peer-reviewers if the patch is not trivial or i f it is security-related.</para>
+          </listitem>
+        </itemizedlist>
+      </para>
+    </sect2>