Re: CTN and MESA

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:

MESA tools here refers to:
http://ihedoc.wustl.edu/mesasoftware/
which seems much more maintained.

It seems to be maintained (guessing from the high release number and a not
so far release date) and thus probably used - so it is probably very reasonable
to replace CTN by MESA.

Is there any interest to package MESA for Debian-med?

Well, it sounds like medicine related free software - so there is
nothing which speaks against it.  It just has to be done.  From
a first look it seems to be a aggregation of several tools and I
admit I did not got a real clue out of the web pages, links (at
least one was broken) and different downloadable files.  There
were even entries like

  Debian Linux (Intel) 	Precompiled 	mesa-10.15.0-debian.zip

at http://ihedoc.wustl.edu/mesasoftware/10.15.0/dist/index.htm#visualization
- even if I don't know yet what a mesa-10.15.0-debian.zip should be.
But it sounds a good starting point for some cooperation to
draw them in.  We should try to send a kind welcome message
and try to clarify the issues.

Normally I would start adding prospective package entries in the
Debian-Med tasks files but I'm not completely sure in which section
to order all this stuff.  Any comments are welcome.

For the CTN issue:  I would vote to keep CTN as long as we
have a drop in replacement from MESA.  Than it can be removed.
I would add this to README.Debian of CTN (or even the long
description of the package).  Once the package will be updated
we could fix the Homepage tagging in the control file (which
leaded to this discussion) as well.

Kind regards and thanks for you research in this topic