Re: Group policy draft

Le Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 12:56:35PM +0100, David Paleino a écrit :
> Hi all,
> as you might have seen, r1213 introduces a "Group Policy". As many other teams
> have one, I felt the need of writing one for us. Consider it still a draft
> (anyone knows Foo Bar? ;) ), it can be improved in many ways.
>
> I believe we should write something about mergeWithUpstream (I hate that; I
> usually upload my packages with full sources -- it's easier handling patches
> this way to me), some tutorials (like I did for quilt -- dpatch for another
> time :p), and so on.

Hi David,

I have a major criticomment about the Group Policy: it is actually a
mixture between a reference and a policy. My gut feeling is that we
should separate these tow kind of contents.

Another improvement we should think about is wether we want to factorize
or federate part of our policy with other packaging groups in Debian. I
think that there are strong similarities, so keeping a collection of
documents with same content but different wordings will end up being
tedious, expecially for people like you David who are active in many
groups.

Lastly, although TeX has many advantages, we have to think if we really
want to have it as a source language of choice for our policy:

 - Many references documents in Debian are WML,
 - many of our manpages are in DocBook, which is close to WML,
 - there is a tool for converting wiki.d.o pages to DocBook.

I have commited minor changes to the document (unrelated to the points I
just made). I was a bit lost in the .tex file, but I guest it is a
question of habits. Be it in .tex, .xml or wiki format, I propose that
the paragraphs are broken is short lines like in an email when syntax
permits. In some cases it would bloat the diff, but in most cases, it
would help a lot to find the differences. Also, adding spaces between
paragraphs would help to navigate. Of course this kind of changes would
be better concentrated in one single commit.

> Many thanks to Charles and his wiki page, which has given much to this Policy :p

Well, it is mostly Steffen's.

Greetins from a snowy Japan,

--
Charles Plessy