Cytoscape package WIP

Hi,

I'm working on a package for cytoscape (http://www.cytoscape.org), a java application for network visualization and analysis (mostly used for genetic and protein networks). Mike Smoot, one of the cytoscape developers, informed me that there was some interest in this from debian-med, and I was hoping that you might be able to help me with a few problems.

You can see my work-in-progress here: http://blog.bigcat.unimaas.nl/~martijn/packages/cytoscape_2.5.2-0ubuntu1~ppa4.dsc . The package is functional (meaning that you can build and then install cytoscape from the source package). But I'm sure it isn't up to debian standards yet, as I've encountered a few problems:

1) I'm wondering what the proper way is to set the classpath so that cytoscape uses jar files from other packages where possible. The cytoscape source tarball includes many libraries that are already available from other packages (e.g. jdom, freehep, etc). Setting the classpath so that it can find available libraries can get messy quickly, so I'd like to know what is the "debian way" to do this. Is there documentation on this, or can you point me to packages that set a good example?

2) The cytoscape source tarball actually doesn't include all sources necessary to build from scratch, the sources for some "core libraries" can be found only in a separate subversion repo. Both sets of sources depend on each other, the core libraries can't be packaged independently. How should I deal with this? Is it acceptable to repackage the source tarball to include the core library sources?

3) I'd like to get this into the official repos, but I'm not familiar with the sponsorship process. Any help would be much appreciated.

with kind regards,
Martijn van Iersel

P.S. I initially started packaging for Ubuntu, as you can see from the version number and changelog. But I'm not partial to which distro it gets included in first :)