Re: RFS: emboss-explorer

Le Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:20:55PM +0200, David Paleino a écrit :

> Now emboss-explorer provides also libemboss-acd-perl. If you look into
> ./debian/, you'll see that the packaging is a bit hacky. Would you suggest
> something to make it look better?

Hi David,

Now that EMBOSS::Acd is not in emboss-explorer anymore, you have to
depend on libembnoss-acd-perl. Also, you have to move the manpage from
emboss-explorer to libemboss-acd-perl.

I tried the packages and on my machine they do not work out of the box.
Apache complains that /var/www/emboss/output is not writeable. Indeeed,
the directory is owned by root and I am unsure that we are allowed to
change this. I think that we should better use a more volatile path.
Maybe /var/run/emboss-explorer?

There is a similar problem with the configuration: /usr/share/perl5 may
be read-only, or worse: shared between computers. I would suggest to
move the "our" definitions into a file in /etc and source it. This way,
it would also become automatically a conffile. In the current design of
the package, local modifications would be lost at upgrade.

About the files generated by emboss-explorer, I think that it is our
responsability to chose reasonnable default values and to install a
crontask.

I have mixed feeling about the install script. If the one provided by
upstream is not patchable, maybe its funcionnalities should be directly
handled by debian/rules and debhelper?

Lastly, here are a few details:

 - You can write (C) Luke McCarthy 2004-2006 in the copyright file,
   since there was a release in 2005 and 2006.

 - README does not contain useful information for Debian users and can
   be safely remboved (it is redundant with copyright).

 - Following discussions on -devel, I am considering making emboss only
   recommend emboss-data. But emboss-explorer will not do anything
   useful without, so maybe it is safer to depend on it.

 - As you said in a previous email, debian/rules is somewhat messy. I
   would suggest for instance to either directly install files, or use
   dh_install, but not to mix the approaches.

 - There is a test script in the t directory, maybe we can ship it in
   /usr/share/doc/emboss-explorer/examples ?

 - Maybe you will need a patch system. I used dpatch a lot in the past,
   but I recommend you to have a look at quilt. I use it in my latest
   package, melting. For the simplest usage it works like dpatch except
   that 00list is calles series, and that normal patches can be used.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org