Re: RFS: emboss-explorer

Hi David, hi all,

first of all many thanks for this package. EMBOSS is command-line only,
and it is very convenient to have such a frond-end locally in a lab, so
that all users in the network can perform simple tasks from their
browser using local databases.

Thanks to Nelson, I have much less comments to make. They are completely
"en vrac", unsorted... sorry.

There is a separate Alioth project for EMBOSS, and I added you in. I
think that it is worthwile to upload emboss-explorer there rather than
in the debian-med SVN. For the moment it can look like over-engeneering,
but in the future, both repositories will be big :) Then, could you
remove emboss-explorer from Debian-Med's SVN? In line with this change,
can you change the maintainer to:

Debian EMBOSS Packaging Team <pkg-emboss-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>

For the dependancies of emboss-explorer, I am unsure wether emboss-help
is requred. Does emboss-explorer rely on files provided by this package?
Otherwise, since it is already suggested by emboss itself, it may be
simpler to drop it.

A minor point about the description: as the DebTags will already
indicate that emboss-explorer is made in Perl, maybe you can drop the
last sentence.

Debian/docs contains only one file. You may opt to add README as an
argument to dh_installdocs.

The core of emboss-explorer is mostly a perl module. I am wondering if
it is worthwile to dedicate him a debian pacakge, with a name such as
libemboss-perl. I recommend to consult the pkg-perl group to decide what
and how to do. You may also find useful information in:
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/perl-policy/ch-module_packages.html

I noticed that the package is Architecture:any. Is there a reason for
this? Its executables are perl scripts. If you change to Arch:all, I
thing that you can clean debian/rules from the parts handling gcc
optimisations.

Thank you very much for taking time to write nice XML manpages. For the
next you write, I recommend to use the latest templates, in
/usr/share/doc/docbook-xsl/examples/

Here is maybe the most imprtant comment: I think that your file layout
does not respect the policy. The relevant part is 11.5
(http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-customized-programs.html#s-web-appl)

Lastly, since EMBOSS is still in experimental, I recommend to upload in
experimental as well for the moment. Also, because of binary name
conflicts, we will very son move the binary programs of EMBOSS to
/usr/lib/emboss, which will be the only place where they are guaranteed
to be unchanged. (/usr/bin will contain symlinks, some of them with
modified names.) Emboss-explorer will have to take this into account.
For the moment, its configuration seems to be done through
EMBOSS::CGI::Conf.pm. Either we can patch new values in it, or we can
try to make it parse a file in /etc.

Let us think about the output files and the cronjobs in a separate
mail, after the above issues are solved.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org