Re: Packaging EMBOSS and data for EMBOSS

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:

For the particular case of mirbase, there is a release every quarter
aproximately. I think that it makes it suitable for being directly
packaged, and in therory, the data should go to /usr/share as it is
shareable and static.

That's fine.

But on the other hand, if the idea of having a common folder of sequence
databases is accepted, it would be a bit stupid to keep small databases
in /usr/share for the sake of it, separtating them from big genomes
which would go in /var/somewhere. But the problem is that there is no
/var/share, although it could be cool to have a nfs- or samba-mountable
folder in local networks, from which people using modern OSes could
access the data when they do not need a dedicated server to run the
analysis.

I really like the idea of /var/share/biodata (or whatever the name is
to have one common place.  I think /var is reasonable even if there
are much static data, because some might be danymic and the idea of
having a shared network mount seems very reasonable.  We should discuss
this on debian-devel and ask for a policy change.

Alternatively, and similarly to java-package, we could have
some wrappers which would produce .deb pacakges from freshly downloaded
genomes. In that case /usr/share/genomics-or-whatever would be a good
target again.

Lastly, if we make enough progressees, maybe we can try to re-contact
Bill Pearson and ask him if he reconsiders his decision about not
distributing FASTA in Debian...

http://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2005/05/msg00035.html

... which is really an annoying arguing.  Perhaps somebody is able
to askk again about a change of his opinion.  I would not regard it
really clever if I personally would ask again.  I could just support the
new request afterwards.