Re: Can a DD build and upload EMBOSS for AMD64 ?

ucko@debian.org (Aaron M. Ucko) writes:

> Sure, no problem; I've launched a build on my home machine, and will
> upload the resulting binaries when it completes.

The build completed, so I'll sign and upload the binaries when I get
home.  (I don't have access to my key at present.)  In the meantime,
I've posted the log at
http://people.debian.org/~ucko/emboss_4.1.0-1_amd64.build and would
like to take the opportunity to point out some issues I observed with
the packaging:

 - Although the command I used (debuild -B) was supposed to build only
   the architecture-dependent (arch-amd64) packages, it built
   architecture-independent (arch-all) packages as well; please take
   care to build the latter from a separate binary-indep target in
   debian/rules rather than building everything from binary-arch.

 - Three executables in emboss (and their manpages, once they
   materialize) implicitly conflict with other packages in the
   archive, in violation of Policy 6.6(4):

#amu@tux64:~/src/emboss/emboss-4.1.0/debian/emboss
$ for x in usr/bin/*; do apt-file search -F $x; done
cons: usr/bin/cons
pscan: usr/bin/pscan
hsffig: usr/bin/splitter

 - The shared libraries in emboss-lib contain a number of unresolved
   references to symbols from other libraries, in violation of Policy
   10.2; please take care to link them against the libraries they
   need.

 - The binaries contain extraneous rpath entries for /usr/lib,
   presumably due to using a buggy version of libtool.

Could you please address these issues prior to letting emboss into
unstable?

Thanks!

Finger amu@monk.mit.edu (NOT a valid e-mail address) for more info.