Fwd: Re: VM image to promote Debian within the neuroimaging community

[ and mine was supposed to go to the list ;) ]

----- Forwarded message from Michael Hanke <michael.hanke@gmail.com> -----

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 09:57:48 +0200
From: Michael Hanke <michael.hanke@gmail.com>
To: Steffen Moeller <moeller@inb.uni-luebeck.de>
Subject: Re: VM image to promote Debian within the neuroimaging community

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 11:12:27PM +0200, Steffen Moeller wrote:
> Guess what, my mail was intended to go to the Michael only, that is why it was
> written in German. Sorry for that. My point could be of a broader interest,
> though, which is that we should all seek ways to attrakt people to our cause
> and delegate work. Good laugh. How? Well, I have no recipe for that. Maybe
> there is some money from the benefiting clinical doctors to pay a student? Or
> some undergraduate seminar/practicals? We should all think about that a bit
> more.
This can work really well. Our lab paid a computer science student to
fix some annoying bugs in FSL that prevented it from compiling on Debian
systems (before I got the idea of making a real package).

However, most of the time there is either no money for that purpose, but
more often there is simply no one available to do it. Additionally while
you can delegate fixing bugs to anyone with a programming background you
still need a person with knowledge about the specific field to maintain
a useful package (or a VM). And this makes things really difficult.

Even if there are people that can solve problems they are simply not
interested in doing it for special interested software. So in the end you
always need people that have both technical and scientific skills
(whatever science we are talking about).

Cheers,

Michael

--
GPG key:  1024D/3144BE0F Michael Hanke