Re: Shoule Wise2 be installed by default by biopython ?

> I just realised that biopython recommends wise. With the default
> behaviour of apt-get and aptitude in Lenny, wise will be installed by
> default with biopython. I just wanted to make sure that the relationship
> between the two packages is that strong.
>
> In the case of bioperl, although it was not discussed before, I think
> that we will only suggest the packages that provide binaries for which
> bioperl has a parser or a wrapper.

I have to admit that I'm always unsure about this. However, I would
prefer to have all modules just working after a standard installation of
biopython so that users don't have to cope with strange error
messages. If a user then decides that he will never use Bio.Wise he can
just purge wise. Just correct me if this is not reasonable...

On the other hand I would like to have either all dependencies for all
modules recommended or none. That is, if I move wise to the suggests
field I would also move python-numeric-ext back. I don't see a reason
why one should distinguish between libraries and binaries since from the
user's perspective a module is just working or not. Whether this is
because a library or a binary is missing doesn't actually matter.

Best regards,

--
Philipp Benner