Re: Can somebody sponsor dialign-t

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:

And I don't know if you already thought on this, but maybe dialign-t
could be split into dialign-t and dialign-t-data (lintian says that
98% of the package are arch-independent files).

It would save aproximately 10 Mo on each mirror, so why not? In that
case, I think that we should keep the doc in the main package. It is
only 112 Ko and I have mixed feelings in having the doc in a -data
package. Also, Dialign will not run without the -data package, because
one of the big files that it contains is used by default. Therefore, we
will have to depend on it.

Separating arch-independent files into a -data package is a really
good idea and if even lintian says so you definitely should.  (I remember
a time when I had to discuss with ftp-master about my decision to
split arch-independent data ...)

In which package the doc should go is sometimes hard to decide.  If
you really need a strong "Depends" from the data package the doc
could savely go to the data package as well.  Because the -data
package should not have a Depends on the binary package (to avoid
circular depends) you might even have more chances to get the doc
installed if it is inside the data package - if you like this, leave
it there.