Re: Confusion about RAxML versions and copyright

Hallo Andreas,

Die aktuellste Version von  RAxML ist RAxML-VI-HPC (v2.2.3)
und liegt hier: http://icwww.epfl.ch/~stamatak/index-Dateien/Page443.htm

Die in ARB eingebaute Version ist veraltet.

I now try to sort out some points for clarification.  This clarification
is done mainly on behalf of the Debian-Med project

    http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med

This project tries to provide all available Free Software that is useful
for medical care (which includes microbiology stuff - in fact this is currently
the strongest part of the project).  The Debian GNU/Linux distribution is
allowed to distribute all software that has a license that complies to
the Debian Free Software Guidelines (DFSG) which are available at

    http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines

klingt sehr gut....

Implizitely all software without a license statement is considered non-free. So all downloadable code from your sites have to be considered non-free from our point of vie and even the license statement that is inside the Arb packaged
version which says

   LEGAL DISCLAIMER

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY ALEXANDROS STAMATAKIS AND THE INSTITUTE OF
   COMPUTER SCIENCE, FOUNDATION FOR RESEARCH AND TECHNOLOGH HELLAS
   AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
   WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT  NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES
   OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
   DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE
   LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY,
   OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO,
   PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA,
   OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON
   ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
   OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
   OUT OF  THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE
   POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. NO COMMERCIAL USE OR COMMERCIAL
   REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS SOFTWARE IS AUTHORIZED. ANY PUBLICATION
   BASED ON THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE MUST EXPLICITLY ACKNOWLEDGE ITS
   USE AND SHOULD CITE THE APPROPRIATE PAPER(S) LISTED IN THE README
   FILE.

is non-free because it says

   NO COMMERCIAL USE OR COMMERCIAL REDISTRIBUTION OF THIS SOFTWARE
   IS AUTHORIZED.

which is considered as discrimination of distribution.  The idea behind
is that no distributor would be allowed to ship Debian DVDs if these would
contain software with this type of license.

So my questions are:

  1. Could you please enlighten my view on all these different versions?
  2. Could you please add a license statement to your code - prefered a
license that complies to the DFSG. Of course the choice of a license
     is your decision but code with no license statement at all sucks and
     might backfire at you at one day.

Okay, das war wohl eine Nachlaessigkeit meinerseits, ich setze das unter die GPL,
das sollte das Problem loesen.

In case you would decide for a free license that would enable us to package RAxML for Debian we would be happy to include your work into our distribution
which would IMHO be a benefit for RAxML because people all over the world
working in the field of biology and using Debian would immediately learn about
this software.

Bis bald,

Alexi

--
Dr. Alexandros Stamatakis

Postdoctoral Researcher
High Performance Computing Bioinformatics

Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
School of Computer & Communication Sciences
Laboratory for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics (LCBB)
STATION 14
CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland

Tel:   +41 21 69 31392 (Office)
      +41 22 54 80003 (SkypeIn)