Re: New tags for biology and medicine.

On 9/6/07, Benjamin Mesing <bensmail@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> Are there packages out there, which work on general seqences (i.e. are
> independent of the type of the sequence). The utility "sort" comes to my
> mind, wich can work on many different types (numbers, strings, dates)
> What you describe is obviously a nice idea, but I think beyond the scope
> of debtags. A package for DNA analysis will probably not work when
> feeded with written language (without modification). And debtags is
> about describing what a package can do as it is.

The complearn-tools package is one example; it works well with genetic
sequences, protein sequences, written human languages, compiled
executable code, and many other domains.  It is in the class of
algorithms called "universal learners" which have recently gained
popularity. [1,2]  This terminology is not without support given
recent results in universal type theory. [3]

Best regards,

Rudi

[1]: http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/689388.html
[2]:  R. Cilibrasi, P.M.B. Vitanyi, Clustering by compression, IEEE
Trans. Information Theory, 51:4(2005)
[3]: Seroussi, Gadiel, On universal types, HPL-2004-153 20040917, HP Tech report