Re: Do we need Debian(-Med) machines?

Le Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 04:16:24PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I personally have no idea about Cell.  Do we have an architecture that
> runs on Cell?

Cell belongs to the powerpc family. Apparently, its differs from the
other processors of this architecture in that it is designed to go very
far in the multi-core number. I think that for the moment, if Debian has
been running on Cell, it is most likely to be on PlayStation3. However,
it is said on wikipedia that IBM will use Cell processor on its
mainframes in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_microprocessor

So normally, would a Cell computer be setup for bioinformatics, it
should be doable to run Debian-Med on it from the official Debian
mirrors (But to be sure, it would be safer to ask on
debian-powerpc@l.d.o before).

Have a nice day,

--
Charles