Re: Considering hijacking bioperl.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:

Would dpkg or apt be smart enough to pickup bioperl-live if

- foo Depends: bioperl ( >= 1.5.2 );
- bioperl is 1.4;
- bioperl-live Provides: bioperl 1.5.2 and Conflicts: bioperl.

This is really a trick question.  You might either try it or
ask on debian-devel (debian-mentors ?) or just try it.  If it
does not work this way I would probably do my next try by droping
the verison number in the Provides line.  This should work if
bioperl-live has version number >= 1.5.2 at least according to
my understanding of these things which is perhaps not really
up to date.

(got to re-read the policy to check if we can have versionned
provides...)

This might help as well if you think it is the faster than the trial
and error method (which I prefer with my experimental physicists
background ;-) ).