Re: RFS: libcomplearn (updated package)

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Rudi Cilibrasi, Ph.D. wrote:

I am ready to try this on the next rev.  Still hoping for any extra info from any interested parties also.
Let me know if I should upload a 0.9.9-2 version to mentors just for the sake of the powerpc addition.

Well, if you plan some other changes in the next couple of days I think there
is no real hurry to just include powerpc.  I admit I do not know whether mentors
is even autobuilded.

This was my original idea but unfortunately someone filed a bug (#419298) because the lzma and ppmd dependencies can never be satisfied.  There is also apparently a good reason that these will never be ported to 64 bit architectures.  Basically lzma and ppmd
are no longer maintained and extremely complicated so the chances that anybody will port them is reasonably estimated to be low.  So this is the complicated resaon for the complicated Arch line that I would surely like to simplify, correct, and expand as possible as porting allows.

I have no idea what lzma and ppmd are but at least it sounds as a valid
reason to exclude these archs.  On the other hand I wonder whether it is a
good idea to relay on software that is not maintained any more and not
ported to 64 bit archs.  I'd consider looking for a replacement - but
as I said - I have no idea about this stuff.

I am glad some people have started using the package and look forward to improving it with your help and feedback.

Well - this is just the sense of our project. ;-)