Re: RFS: libsbml

Hello,

On Monday 05 February 2007 19:33:17 you wrote:
> Ok, I admit that the real problem is that the dependence to latex2html
> require tetex-extra and a lot of other packages,and after this
> additional dependence, my system require another 100 M disk space. I
> don't like installing a lot of packages just because an unnecessary
> package. I believe other people may feel the same like me. Why not just
> left this an option to user? I mean, in the upstream source, to build
> the doc is optional, we can just left this like the original source.
as a start I agree to just leave the documentation out. It is less about the
size (well, at good days I get > 2MB/s from the net) and users running Debian
from a CD are not unlikely to already have the packages locally, than about
reducing the complexity.

> Another reason, we have an analogue: this package support matlab binding
> too. Of course, we will not enable this binding by default. but user can
> simply apt-get source and add this support. This is just like the doc
> package's situation, we can disable it by default, but easily enable
> it.
I second that, as long as it is all be well-documented in the README.Debian.

> Further more, I think there will be few people want to patch doc
> package, writing the right doc is the responsibility of upstream
> authors. I consider that's why the upstream authors offer a compiled doc
> package for us.
In 2004 I had a quick friendly encounter with upstream's Mike Hucka at his
poster at the ISMB in Glasgow. He was very supportive of a Debian package and
I would not be overly surprised if upstream decided that they'd s/.doc/.tex/
or something similarly free.

Someone should ask.

Many greetings

Steffen