Re: Clustalw in danger

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006, Charles Plessy wrote:

Apparently, what clustalw needs is to be built on more arches. It was
NMUed, but only on i386. Do you think it would be fair to ask the author
of the NMU to finish the work on other arches, or is there a DD on this
list who could try to rescue the situation ?

Well, every developer has access to the machines listed below:

   http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi

and can compile packages there.  I do not really like to spend
my time compiling packages on several architectures and there
are cases where this just does not work.  When I had this problem
in former times I had in most of the cases success by sending
a mail to debian-devel list:

   [Help] Please compile <pkg> on architectures <archs>

The result was normally that the package was compiled after about
two days on most architectures.  If one was missing I picked this
one myself and compiled it on one of the machines above.  Thus
we shared the effort of this stupid work (this is the ugliest
aspect of non-free software taht it forces you extra stress because
of missing auto builders.)

We are running against time. Give the discussions on -devel, I am not
sure that clustalw would be accepted in testing after the freeze.

PS: this would be a good opportunity to integrate my patch for
freedesktop support. http://bugs.debian.org/380715

While I would be in favour to implement your simple patch I would
make sure that the *current* version will be propagated to testing.
Half of the architectures are done and thus I would not risk to
leave clustalw at all because of the freedesktop file.

PS2: Also, I think that Steffen wouldn't mind if the Maintainer was
changed to the mail list of the debian-med packaging team. Steffen, can
you confirm that the following would be OK ?

Since Steffen switched his job he is not as active as before and
as far as I know Steffen it would be no problem for him (i.e. in
case he will not answer your question I would take it for a "yes").

Kind regards and thanks for your effort