primer3

Hi all, hi Steffen,

I was just reading a paper in which they patched primer3, and this led
me digging the web to see it were already in Debian. It appears that
there is an unofficial package made by Steffen, and that the ITP has
been closed a few days ago.

Primer3 is unfortunately non-free, and the README.Debian file of
Steffen's package indicates that it is unlikely that the licence can be
changed. But I am wondering something : did you realise that the licence
is the "old BSD licence" ? If not, it may be worthwile to contact the
authors again, and explain them that many universities agreed to remove
the non-free paragraph in their licences. (See
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/bsd.html for more details).

I am a happy user of primer3 (more than 200 pairs designed), and I
would be a bit frustrated if it would not make it in the main archive,
especially because there is a very useful wrapper in EMBOSS, which will
go in main when the package will be ready.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles