Re: problems of normal user

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Petr Houska wrote:

first of all, please be patient with me, because this is my very first post to such a mailing list.

Hi Petr, thanks for your input.

Today I tried to install some of the med-* packages and got very confused during the process.

Great that you gave them a try - shame on us that we confused you.  But we
are working on this. ;-)

The information I was looking for was hidden deep in /usr/share/doc/med-* directories

It is probably our fault to assume that users are comfortable to always look
into /usr/share/doc/<packagename>.  While it is allways my first thing I
do after installing a new package to have at least a quick glance into
this directory I admit that at least a hint for the user to do this should
be given at a reasonable place.

that lot of software is a "suggest" only. I

Are you sure that it is really "a lot" of software that is only suggests?
Can you please specify the suggested packages that you would like to see as
depends?  My strategy was to use "Depends if possible".  The "if possible"
is necessary because some software that is interesting for Debian-Med is
in the non-free or contrib trees on the Debian mirrors and thus do not
belong to the official Debian.  That means I can not put Depends from a
package outside Debian (non-free) in a package inside Debian.  This would
immediately exclude the meta package from main Debian.  So if you find
a package that is in Debian main and should have a Depends but no Suggests
I would be happy to change this.  You can easily find this out by using

      apt-cache show PACKAGE | grep ^Section | uniq

For instance

     $ apt-cache show clustalw | grep ^Section | uniq
     Section: non-free/science

shows that clustalw is non-free and thus only listed as Suggests in
med-bio.

think that this information should be available before one installs a med-* package (ie. on a description of a package) so even a beginner will know, that this does not install all available software.

You are right here that the fact I explained above should be mentioned
in the description.

For little advanced users (who read man pages, but are not advanced enough to know the location of doc files by heart) there might be some information about it being only a metapackage and a link to the readme file. And when the package is executed (like med-common in xterm) it should write in the end something like:

/Note: This file is not intended to be executed in itself, please refer to the manual pages (man med-common)./

You are right.  Once I considered it to be a good idea to provide an executable
in every meta package that just prints something like apt-cache show would
print as information.  But either it is a bad idea at all to use an executable
(what do you think) or it should definitely a little bit more verbose to be
useful.

As to what might be in the package description (that text which appears in synaptic describing the package) I would suggest this:

for med-common:

/*Debian-Med Project common package

*This package provides the basic infrastructure of all med-* packages and is needed by them.

Other packages in Debian-Med Project are:

** med-bio    for biological research
** med-cms    for publicating a ... on the internet
** med-dent   for dental medicine
** med-imaging    for image processing
** med-pharmacy   for pharmaceutical research
** med-physics   for radiation oncology, diagnostics imaging
and related fields
** med-practice     for general practitioners
** med-tools    for ...
** med-doc   documentation, talk and ... (see "installed files")

Note: All these packages are so called metapackages. This means they are not executable programs, but only links to other packages. This way you will conveniently get all the non-commercial medical software which is available for linux./

This is a very helpful hint.  I think I will apply this quite soon - just waiting
until the current unstable packages will hit testing.  One more hint because
I'm not sure you are comfortable with reportbug:  It is perfectly all right
and really apreciated if you post this kind of hints to the Debian-Med
mailing list.  Another way to raise your voice would be to use the bug reporting
tool reportbug and file this as bug report with severity "wishlist" against
the debian-med package.  The difference between a post to the list and
using the bug tracking system is that people who are looking at

    http://bugs.debian.org/debian-med

will be informed about known (and solved issues) even if they do not read
this mailing list.  But if you are feeling uncomfortable with reportbug -
just continue to use this mailing list as you did.

For each med-* the description is simple and good, but might contain again something like:

/Note: Some dependencies are suggestions/recommendations only. If you plan to install those as well, please mark those for install separately.

What do you think about:
  /Note: Please note that this package can not Depend from non-free
   packages but the interesting packages from non-free are at least
   Suggested for your information./

(Regarding the Recommends: Can you tell me the packages that you would
 like to raise from Recommends to Depends?)

This metapackage depends on these programs:

And suggests these:
/

This is an interesting idea and I will think about it.  The problem is
that the building process of the meta packages is a highly dynamic process
and the control file of a meta package is assembled in the package building
process by the cdd-dev tools from some task files.  There would be a good
chance to extend cdd-dev to also add the Dependencies to the description
but I'm not completely convinced that this is a really good idea.  The
reason is that in the long run we will have translations of the package
descriptions for several languages.  If the content of the package
description changes frequently many translators will be kept busy (because
they get a notification that something changed) but they will not
really have to do something (just a package name was added).  If we
would decide not only to add the package name but even the short
description of the dependant package, which would be completely reasonable,
the poor translators would have a really hard job.  It is a known fact
that translators have problems when trying to translate this very
specific medicin/biology related terms.  It becomes even worse if
different translators are working on the description of the real
package description of the dependant package and on the short description
inside the meta package.

So in short: I consider it not as the best idea to add the Dependencies
to the description but I would see what I can do to enhance the med-*
scripts to be more verbose about the Dependencies for instance by parsing
the dependency list and add the short decriptions of the package (which
should work also with translations because (once it is established) the
translated packages file would be used.  Than we could add a hint into
the description of the package that explicitely advises the user to
call the script and read the information.  We could even add a sign
whether some suggested or recommended package is really installed or
not.  We could even add a options

     med-* --install-suggests  --install-recommends

to fix the suggestions easily if you think this would be the kind
of support users would like.

What do you think about this?

I hope this helps to see problems of normal user like myself. And thank you for reading all this stuff.

I liked your input very much and hope for further comments from you and
others to this topic.