Clustalw in danger

Dear all,

I just realised that clustalw is not in testing. It will be difficult to
satisfy our users in those conditions. Just look at the following graph:

http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php?packages=kalign+dialign+probcons+clustalx+clustalw+muscle+t-coffee+poa+amap-align+sigma-align&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&beenhere=1

ClustalW and ClustalX are still the most popular softwares for multiple
alignment. Interestingly, there is a concommitant drop in the number of
users of these two programs, and increase of users of the new alignment
software I packaged. But I fear that if clustalw is not available, there
will be a big drop of users instead of a migration to free packages.

http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl?package=clustalw

Apparently, what clustalw needs is to be built on more arches. It was
NMUed, but only on i386. Do you think it would be fair to ask the author
of the NMU to finish the work on other arches, or is there a DD on this
list who could try to rescue the situation ?

We are running against time. Give the discussions on -devel, I am not
sure that clustalw would be accepted in testing after the freeze.

PS: this would be a good opportunity to integrate my patch for
freedesktop support. http://bugs.debian.org/380715

PS2: Also, I think that Steffen wouldn't mind if the Maintainer was
changed to the mail list of the debian-med packaging team. Steffen, can
you confirm that the following would be OK ?

Maintainer: Debian-Med Packaging Team <debian-med-packaging@lists.alioth.debian.org>
Uploaders: Steffen Moeller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de>, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org>

Have a nice day,

--