Re: Tentative howto for attracting new members into the debian-med project

Hi!

On 5/22/06, Charles Plessy <charles-debian-nospam@plessy.org> wrote:
I have wrote the attached howto, which I send to this list for comments.
Its source is in docbook, so it is intended to be a html or pdf document
in its final version.

Good! :-)

I welcome any comment. I did my best, but I am a beginner, and this
preliminary howto might promote bad practices as well...

I have some suggestions:

On "Before starting to package", move the "Avoid duplicate work"
before "Check the licence". I think that it´s necessary to check the
license and test the program only if nobody else is working in it,
right? (except if you want to help in creating the package)

On the "File an ITP bug", you could also say about the RFP bugs. If
there is a RFP for the program that you are wanting to create the
package, you just need to retitle it, instead opening a new bug.

You say: "and re-package the sources under the name
packagename_version.orig.tar.gz"
Generally, it´s only necessary to rename the file to
packagename_version.orig.tar.gz.
At least I understood that repack is the same as "uncompress and
compress again with the new name". A simple rename of the file will do
the job. Again, there are exceptions, when there is a real need to
repack the source (to remove some non-free file, for example), for
example.

There is a typo recommand -> recommend on "Reaching the high quality
standards of Debian".
repeatedly  -> repeatitdly on "Building clean source and binary packages"
"The debiandirectory" is missing a space (debian directory)
Regstering -> Registering on "Regstering the documentation with doc-base"

(Maybe I am wrong about some things that I said)
This is what I could see. I hope this can help you.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Nelson