Re: ITK debian packages

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 10:30:35PM -0500, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > > For reference, VTK 5 builds using

> > >   SET(VTK_MAJOR_VERSION 5)
> > >   SET(VTK_MINOR_VERSION 0)
> > >   SET(VTK_BUILD_VERSION 0)
> > >   SET(VTK_VERSION
> > >     "${VTK_MAJOR_VERSION}.${VTK_MINOR_VERSION}.${VTK_BUILD_VERSION}")

> > >   SET(VTK_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES ${VTK_LIBRARY_PROPERTIES}
> > >     VERSION "${VTK_VERSION}"
> > >     SOVERSION "${VTK_MAJOR_VERSION}.${VTK_MINOR_VERSION}")

> > As I understand it, that doesn't conform to policy, since the SOVERSION is
> > has more than one component.

> I can't find anything in Debian Policy that discusses the form that
> SOVERSION must take.  I do see section 8.1 that discusses the
> *package* name derived from SONAME.  What policy section are you
> worried about?

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with an soname with multiple numeric components
at the end.  However, please note that:

> > Wouldn't that lead to something like this?

> >   libVTKCommon.so -> libVTKCommon.so.5.0 -> libVTKCommon.so.5.0.0
> >   SONAME=libVTKCommon.so.5.0

> Yes, I believe so.

in this case, it is mandatory that libVTKCommon.so.5 *not* exist, since a)
nothing will use it, b) its presence would cause file conflicts between
successive library versions within the .5.x series.

Cheers,