Re: DICOM viewer for Linux

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Jeff Rasmussen wrote:

My intention was to look into the possibility of packaging either of
the two packages for Debian.  If I understand correctly I need to
first compile the software on my system.
In principle yes - but you definitely should have a look into the
developers reference and you should the tools needed.  It is
absolutely simple to build Debian packages if you know which tools
to use so please do not try a "hand-made" solution.  If you decided
for a certain package and do not know what to do next just ask here.
Normally packaging starts with dh_make ...

I have installed all of the packages you mentioned but most seemed
like library type packages with out much front end.
Sure - the packages starting with "lib" are libraries - it was just
a quick hint how to very quickly get an information about potential
interesting packages.  Just forget about the libraries and lock at
the remaining ones.  I hope you noticed that you can get more detailed
information about a package using

          apt-cache show <packagename>

You might also like to try synaptic or an other package management tool
of your choice (there are ones for Gnome and KDE) but the "one liners"
I wrote are easily to post in e-mails ... and simply the way I go
personally.