Re: Medical clinic and software

On Nov 2, 2005, at 6:58 AM, Maria Pinjanainen wrote:
I maybe plan a new network and all stuff for a little medical clinic.
Now they have nothing, so I can start with clean table. :-)
My "cilent" is a diabetic clinic...

Somehow, the table is never clean. A number of years ago Donald Berwick (ihi.org) said, "The patient record of the future belongs to the patient, PERIOD" You will be very lucky if your client understands this. Even if you have no legacy network, you have a legacy data source: piles of handwritten logs and meters that measure glucose and HbA1c which connect (if they connect at all) not with IR or Bluetooth but some variant of RS-232. No current computers can use these data sources without a little more hardware to adapt a USB port. More data comes from scales and blood pressure machines where the interface
problem is the same or worse.

That said, I think you have come to the right place. There is a lot of nice software here for
small clinics.

I have generally used Perl and C++. Recently, I have been tinkering with Ruby on Rails
as a very nice way to build a whole system from scratch.

Regards
John M. Miller M.D.